Monday, July 29, 2013

Learning to Sew at Age 6


My oldest son just turned six this weekend. He has been badgering me for his own sewing machine for  over a year now. We even bought him a toy sewing machine last year for his birthday, and he was so excited!  
...but as you could guess, it broke within the first hour.
 It was cruel. 
He was crushed.  
We returned it.
 At that point I knew we would never buy a toy sewing machine again. He continued in his interest of learning how to sew, and if I was sewing during daylight hours, he would sit and watch and even help me. 
He's ever so observant. 

I really wanted to teach him how to sew and feed that creative urge that I could see and feel coming from him. But I really did not want to teach him on my nicer machine.




So after much thought, research, and convincing the husband, we got him his own real beginners (compact) machine for his birthday! I'm so impressed with his self-control and confidence with his machine already.

Our first lesson after general machine orientation was to practice sewing a straight line. I drew straight lines on some paper for him to practice on. Our rule right now is he cannot sew unless I'm sitting right there with him. That will be until I feel confident that he's not going to hurt himself or the machine and after many, many more lessons. We are getting a lot of kid sewing ideas from the book, Sewing School 2. 




 I asked him what he was going to make first, and he said,  "A quilt for baby Lucinda for her birthday...like you do for us, Mom." Lucinda is his little sister who is five months old. He adores her. My four year old (almost five year old) girl is super jealous and has been going to bed in tears because she wants to learn. We will see... I have a feeling this machine will earn its keep in this house and hopefully have a long life. 

2 comments:

  1. Our son was 6 when my grandmother taught him how to use her sewing machine. This was years before I had started sewing again, but learn he did. He made his father and I simple little fleece envelope type bags for Christmas that year and was sooo proud that he had made them himself. We both still have, and use those pouches for various things. He is 14 now and just finished both his first quilt and his first quilted pillow. Oh and got his own machine this past Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sew much for sharing this post! I have a son and daughter who are turning 13 and 14 this year. My son is the one with the interest in sewing, while my daughter has none at all. He has started his first quilt and is my 'go-to' guy whenever I require a second opinion concerning colour or style. It is a pleasure to share the love of quilting with him. It is a good thing you bought your son his 'own' machine, because it looks like - between him and his sister - you would never get a chance to use it!

    ReplyDelete