Well, I made two small, lap-sized quilts from the nice thrift store scraps. I paid $2 for the sizable bag of mostly coordinating fabric. I thought it would be wonderful to be able to just "play around" without the risk of ruining favorite or expensive fabric. I also used up left-over scraps of batting that I pieced together and I also used up fabric for the backing that I had no plans for. I figure I'm out about fifty cents for these two quilts.
And the time it took to make them. :)
For this one, I just cut the width of the scraps and pieced them together brick-like.
I wanted to try some micro-suede that I had for the backing because I was curious to know how good it would be for quilts. It's so soft and cuddly and warm...and polyester. Which I already knew! But I have about ten yards of it left from when I sewed cloth diapers several years ago and want to use it up!
So it didn't turn out so well. This was after close pin-basting and using a walking foot.
It was so slick and slippery, even though it is fuzzy on the one side.
Anyone interested in about 9 yards of micro-suede?
This one turned out much better. I used the entire strip of each of these scraps, sewed them together and then put the two borders on. Not a lot of wastage. I like the white and blue together, even with this old fabric.
I decided to use some white flannel that I have a lot of and to try my hand again with free-motion quilting.
The first time I tried was about seven months ago. It was on my third quilt ever...king size...with an all-over paisley design. Need I say more? It's still scrunched in my closet. I still harbor ill feelings toward it.
This time I only broke two needles and broke the thread twice.
(I hear those are common issues when first learning to free motion quilt.)
Yes, I'm proud I ONLY broke two...especially compared to my earlier experience.
It looks extra puckery because it is. The batting is the nearly paper thin cotton from Walmart and shrinks considerably. I have since learned there is major difference in batting quality. But I wanted to use up the scraps, because I still paid for it once upon a time.
I am very happy with the results and am motivated to keep practicing to get better...and hopefully break less needles.
So I guess this quilt cost me about a quarter and two needles.
I think I got a good deal.
Finish It Up Friday
Free Motion Friday