Wednesday, July 10, 2013

WIP - Lucky Stars QAL

Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

I start new projects all. the. time.  I have several works-in-progress right now...like five or six. Granted, there are two that are long term WIP that are just going to take a long time. It would drive some people in my family, such as my mother-in-law or my husband, crazy to have so many projects simultaneously.
But...I don't feel real bothered by it.
Yes, I want to cross things off my To-Do List, but it doesn't keep me from starting something new. (Maybe at the point that I can't keep track of what all I've got going on... Not there yet, though.)

Lighting is horrible. The backdrop is supposed to be white, not cream!


Truly, I also love to have the quilts finished and sometimes wish I would finish one before starting another. I know that is much more efficient, and the practical side of me yearns to be more methodical in my quilt planning. However, since I've been pondering this lately, I've come to the conclusion that I really enjoy doing it this way. I'm having lots of fun! Yes, the other way may be much better, but I'm really enjoying myself.
 Inspiration hits; I act on it and create...with no guilt. Or at least very little. I don't think this is one of those "excuses" to justify bad habits like a disorganized person saying chaos helps them be creative. But, I do enjoy quilting primarily for the joy of creating...not necessarily for the joy of finishing. Hopefully, the two come together to make something beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I intend to finish what I start and I honestly don't worry about that. It'll get done.


 I also enjoy the pace of quilting blocks here and there for different quilts to keep it interesting and to avoid burnout. Especially because I do this to relieve stress, not create it! :) I think there is beauty in the creation and validation in the finish.  There's just something about making something out of nothing that rejuvenates the soul.


This WIP I started this week. It is the Quilt-a-long with QuiltStory. The pattern is Lucky Stars. I had a layer cake I got for 50% off a while ago that I had no plans for and liked the pattern, so decided I would put the two together. I'm glad I did! I love it so far! (The pictures don't give it justice with bad lighting.) Or maybe I'm just surprised because the fabric itself wasn't that amazing. It's the same prints over and over in three or four colors and somewhat boring, but I added a few prints from my stash to soften it a little and add variety. It will make a great fall throw. I'm planning to finish this one up first and practice some more free-motion quilting.


1 comment:

  1. Your stars and squares look great! And I agree with you about having multiple project going at once :)

    ReplyDelete