Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Shark Quilt

Life has a way of plowing ahead despite our best intentions. I haven't bound the previous two charity lap quilts yet, but started on a new one because the fabric was just staring at me! It's almost done, and I'm quite pleased with it. I've been out of town and I'm having computer issues right now, so I'll share a quilt that I did for my son last Christmas.
I'm linking up with Link-a-Finish Friday and TGIFF and Finish-it-Up Friday

I bought the Go Fish Quilt pattern from this Etsy Shop. I didn't have any help taking pictures, so I couldn't get fantastic full shots.

There was only one problem with this pattern; it only had fish on it. And my son LOVES sharks... I really wanted to do a shark quilt with perhaps a pirate theme. But I couldn't find any shark quilt patterns, and since this was one of my first (probably sixth?) quilts, I still really needed a pattern to follow. This ocean scene was just too fun!


Of course, I just HAD to figure out how to get a shark (or more!) on there, and I did! I found some shark novelty fabric, which my son LOVED because it was so lifelike and not babyish. He IS five, ya know. :)

I tried reverse appliqué and I was happy to find that it was super easy. I love the way it turned out and the added texture that it gave it the quilt was perfect.


He loves all things aquatic. But mostly sharks. There are some hidden whale, turtle, and otter batik prints in there, too.


The fins are left hanging on two of the fish.


The school of fish was fun to peice and I used the eyelet stitch on my machine for the eyes versus buttons.


Some fussy cut blocks here and there... A cute sea dragon. You can also see the random wave-like quilting in this one.


The pieced back made from various fabrics he had chosen and picked out for HIS quilt, but I couldn't figure out how to incorporate them on the front of the quilt..so they made up the back.  


7 comments:

  1. Hello. I found your blog from the Quilting Gallery site. I think your son's shark quilt is great. I bet he loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an AWESOME quilt!!! I really, really love how you worked the sharks in. Fantabulous. :D Very nice to meet you through TGIFF - glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too much fun. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a qeorgous quilt. I love it. I cannot believe it is only your 6th quilt! The ncoloers are so bright and well chosen, I like the pattern and your sharks, the back, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I visited once before but had to come back to look at your shark quilt again. I have three grandsons (seven kids!)and I know each of them would love a quilt like this. It's very creative and I just love the fabrics you used, front and back. Keep up the good work, mom of five!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a neat quilt! I love the sharks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reverse appliqué was the perfect technique here!! It really gives the appearance that the shark has chew his way out :). Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete