Monday, August 5, 2013

Lucky Star QAL Top Finished

So, it was super windy outside, and the only day I had my husband here to help me take a picture. This is the best full picture I was able to get outside. 

I am participating in the Lucky Stars Quilt-Along by Quilt Story. I picked the fabric based on a layer cake that I had laying around that I had bought half-off and just wanted to use it up. It wasn't my favorite, but it was inexpensive and I try to use what I buy. The collection is Love Letters by Moda. It was so dark and non-interesting, so I added the red, pink, light green and the light blue prints, along with some different blues. 
I'm glad I did. It softened it dramatically.


 Here's an indoor shot, although it distorts the colors a little bit, you can see the full quilt top. The first picture is more true to the colors.

Hopefully once I quilt it, I can get a better picture. This may take me a while, because I still am not sure how I want to quilt it. Originally, I was going to custom quilt each block, star, and patchwork square. However, I really don't think you'd be able to see the quilting very well and I'm unsure I want to spend all that time quilting it and it won't be that noticeable. I don't know. All over design? Or custom designs? Straight line? Ideas?



 And this is an exclusive behind the scenes capture of what my life really looks like. Lots of helpers. :) 
My husband likes this one because it looks like a stained glass window. And we'll ignore my husband's non-matching attire. :) He is a 4th year medical student and is generally not known for his color-coordination skills. Surgery skills? Awesome. Does this shirt match with these pants? Not so much.
 However, stay tuned in the next few days to see the fabric I let him choose from he picked out for his own quilt. 

*sigh* I sure do love that man. I'm pretty sure he'll get a good laugh when he sees this picture/post. I hope everyone has a great Monday!



4 comments:

  1. Great finish!!! You did an awesome job adding in those prints!! Hang in there girl...med school is so hard! Mis-matched and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do say that laughter is the best medicine...so maybe all his patients will get better faster!
    The colours turned out fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of work in this one, beautifully done. As the fabrics and design are rather "busy" I'd opt for a gentle all over quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done. Those colors all work so wonderfully well together.

    ReplyDelete