Friday, August 2, 2013

FMQ Designs on the Pink and Yellow Lap Quilt

Here is the quilt that I've been playing with. This will be for our Relief Society Service project.


My kids were good sports holding it up for me.




Someone had donated this center patch orphan block as well as a smallish scrap of strip-pieced flowers which is the second inner border. I just kept adding borders and created this quilt very quickly while at the church a couple of weeks ago.


 I was pretty excited to try out some fun and different designs around all of the borders, sort of medallion style.


The most frustrating design was the figure eights and I'm not sure it was because they were so small or just hard for me.



You can see in the swirly wave design, it took me a while to figure out the path. Half way through, I decided that they didn't look right and figured out what I was doing wrong. Your can see it better in the bottom picture on the left.



The feathers were challenging, but I was just feeling like I was just making progress when I finished them. Definitely need lots more practice on those.

 My biggest success was that I didn't break any needles!

Linking with:
Finish-it-Up Friday
TGIFF
Free Motion Friday
Link A Finish

10 comments:

  1. Aw that's cute. love the quilting. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt! I like the quilting with the feathers in the border! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fun colors . . . great fmqing . . . helpful kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the finish! Your quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeeey! Another pretty quilt! Congratulations on your finish!!!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. I like the idea of using a plain backing because it really lets the quilting shine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job in quilting these designs. Turned out very pretty. Kudos to your children who helped hold it for photos! Good kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I measure success by intact needles too! That was what I destroyed constantly when I started learning, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your FMQ, especially the flowers. Wonderful finish.

    ReplyDelete