Saturday, June 29, 2013

My Two $ .25 Experiments

Well, I made two small, lap-sized quilts from the nice thrift store scraps. I paid $2 for the sizable bag of mostly coordinating fabric. I thought it would be wonderful to be able to just "play around" without the risk of ruining favorite or expensive fabric. I also used up left-over scraps of batting that I pieced together and I also used up fabric for the backing that I had no plans for. I figure I'm out about fifty cents for these two quilts. 
And the time it took to make them. :)


For this one, I just cut the width of the scraps and pieced them together brick-like.
I wanted to try some micro-suede that I had for the backing because I was curious to know how good it would be for quilts. It's so soft and cuddly and warm...and polyester. Which I already knew! But I have about ten yards of it left from when I sewed cloth diapers several years ago and want to use it up!


So it didn't turn out so well. This was after close pin-basting and using a walking foot. 
It was so slick and slippery, even though it is fuzzy on the one side.
Lesson learned.  
Anyone interested in about 9 yards of micro-suede?







This one turned out much better. I used the entire strip of each of these scraps, sewed them together and then put the two borders on. Not a lot of wastage. I like the white and blue together, even with this old fabric.

I decided to use some white flannel that I have a lot of and to try my hand again with free-motion quilting.
The first time I tried was about seven months ago. It was on my third quilt ever...king size...with an all-over paisley design. Need I say more? It's still scrunched in my closet. I still harbor ill feelings toward it.


This time I only broke two needles and broke the thread twice.
(I hear those are common issues when first learning to free motion quilt.)
Yes, I'm proud I ONLY broke two...especially compared to my earlier experience.


It looks extra puckery because it is. The batting is the nearly paper thin cotton from Walmart and shrinks considerably. I have since learned there is major difference in batting quality. But I wanted to use up the scraps, because I still paid for it once upon a time.



I am very happy with the results and am motivated to keep practicing to get better...and hopefully break less needles. 

So I guess this quilt cost me about a quarter and two needles.

I think I got a good deal.




Linking up:
Finish It Up Friday
TGIFF
Free Motion Friday

8 comments:

  1. I am a firm believer in getting fabric from the thrift stores! I use it up when I am trying a new block for the first time or if I want to try a new quilting design or pattern. The way I figure it is that almost all of the quilts that I make when I am trying something new I make small kid / lap size and whichever charity I donate it to , the recipient of it is not going to know where the fabric was purchased, or even notice the spots that I messed up on, they are just going to know that they have something special that is just for them !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, yay, yay on using up scraps and working on the free motion quilting! Your quilting looks great for just your second go at it. Just keep at it. It will get better as you work at it, I promise you! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the colors in both of the quilts. As for your suede type fabric, one good thing, it is soft and this will be a nice cuddle quilt in the winter. This is a good way to practice your quilting technique and it will get easier the more you practice. I love floral fabric, and these quilts are pretty to me. I think you should be proud of what you have created....good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good practice....and great quilts!! I think that is worth a bundle more than two bits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the FMQuilting! and I love great thrift store finds, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Experience is priceless ;). And you can't beat it when you can get it for 25₵. Your FMQ flowers are so pretty. I was surprised when you said it was your first try! I love the thrifty-ness of these two quilts. I love using what I have. Too bad the microsuede didn't work out. That was a terrific idea. Congrats on two really great quilts and thanks for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got a great deal! And loads of lessons! I think you did a great job on the second quilt. Sorry about all the puckering on the first one, but at least you aren't out much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your color coordination. You are an inspiration. With your first few quilts looking this great, can't wait to see your creations several years down the road.

    ReplyDelete