Wednesday, June 19, 2013

WIP Manly Quilt..hmmm

 
Well, this quilt was starting to disappoint me, so I folded it up and put in a bag for a couple of weeks. I apologize for the wrinkly photo. But I needed to distance myself and I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with it.


 
It's half way pieced at this point. I'm still not sold on the pattern in combination with my fabric choices. I have too many fabrics that are the same value and the zig-zag across the quilt is not as prominent as I wanted. Imagine replacing the gray with black.  Because the color value is not as defined, the quilt gives my eyes a headache.

Not until I took pictures this morning did I notice the top right had some problems! There is a group of ten blocks turned upside down in the top right hand corner....hmm maybe that's why it's giving me an even bigger headache. I sewed it wrong!  I'll be needing to rip those out...but I may just keep going. I have this problem with when I make a quilt, I really want to love it.
Linking up: 
WOW 

3 comments:

  1. I would just turn the pieces right-side up, and continue as you are doing. There is a definite grey zig-zag pattern, and the other fabrics look kind of random. I think there is enough value difference that it works, and is definitely manly. No need to torture yourself. If you don't truly love it when you are done, just upload it to etsy! It will be just what some person was looking for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would stop now if I did not like it and turn it in to a lap quilt or you could add some black and red boarders then add some of the centre blocks down one or two sides and then finish with a black or red boarder around the whole lot????? Then it becomes an art statement!!!!! Just an idea to try and see if you start to like it?????? Just lay the fabrics first to see if you like the feel of it. Hope this helps. Cheers glenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Imperfections are what I love about old quilts, I think many modern quilts can sometimes be too perfect for my tastes. I like that my quilts aren't perfect and they show my stage of development as a quilter. If you finish it imperfectly, you may never make the same mistakes again.

    ReplyDelete